The Advice Line is the first and main point of contact if you are seeking legal advice from us about your employment.  We aim to give you the knowledge and information you need to understand your legal options and to enforce your rights.

If you have been dismissed from your employment, be aware that you may have as little as 21 days to make a claim.

General Advice Line

To seek FREE legal advice from us about your employment, you can follow these steps…

We help vulnerable WA employees who are experiencing issues at work. However, due to our limited resources, we have eligibility criteria for our assistance and are unable to assist everyone.

Unfortunately, ELC is generally unable to advise the following people:

  • High-income earners – generally we only assist vulnerable low-income employees. If you are a high-income earner or live in a high income household, you might like to consider one of the private solicitors on the Private Solicitor List.
  • Third parties – usually we need to speak directly to the person with the employment issue unless there is an exceptional reason why they cannot speak to us themselves.
  • Union members – generally union members can get help from their union if they have a problem at work. If you are a union member please contact your union for help.
  • Independent contractors – if you are unsure whether you are a true contractor, you can read this Fact Sheet or you can seek legal advice from us on this issue. If you are a true contractor and not an employee, we will not be able to assist you because we only advise employees. Different laws may apply to contractors.
  • Employees who already have legal assistance – we will not have the capacity to assist you if you have received or are receiving help with your problem at work from a lawyer or advocate. Our services are firstly for employees who cannot get assistance from elsewhere and have nowhere else to go.
  • Employers – we do not assist employers. You can find a list of employer agencies on our Helpful Links page.

If you are not eligible for legal advice, you might still find our Resources helpful.

Even if you are not an excluded worker, please note that we have further eligibility criteria for our assistance.

We help with a range of employment issues, including:

  • Unfair dismissal
  • General protections – adverse action
  • Unlawful termination
  • Redundancy
  • Forced resignation
  • Suspension and stand down
  • Discrimination
  • Sexual harassment
  • Workplace bullying
  • Occupational safety and health
  • Employment contracts
  • Unpaid wages or underpayments
  • Unauthorised deductions
  • Minimum conditions of employment
  • Misleading conduct in relation to employment
  • Sham contracting

However, there are some issues we can’t help with. Unfortunately, ELC is generally unable to advise on the following issues:

  • Workers’ compensation – we do not advise on workers’ compensation issues that relate to a physical or mental illness or injury you may have suffered at work. For information on workers’ compensation, please call WorkCover WA.
  • Superannuation – we do not advise on issues with superannuation. For information on superannuation, please call the Australian Tax Office.
  • Income tax – we do not advice on issues with income tax. For more information on income tax, please call the Australian Tax Office.
  • Other tax issues – we do not advise on any other tax issues. For more information on any other tax issues, please call the Australian Tax Office.

Even if your issue is not an excluded issue, please note that there might be some other issues arising from your employment that we might not be able to advise you on over the Advice Line.

If you have a simple question or are seeking general information, you might find our online resources helpful. These resources include:

  • The InfoGuide tool that asks you questions about your employment issue and provides tailored information based on your responses.
  • The Fact Sheets on common employment law issues.
  • The Information Kits on common employment law claims.
  • The Videos on ‘Employment Law in Western Australia’ and ‘What to do if you lose your job’.

You can access these and other resources by clicking on the Resources tab at the top of the page.

Please have the following information on hand before you call:

  • Your employer’s ABN or ACN.
  • Your most recent payslip.
  • Your most recent group certificate (if applicable).
  • Your start date with your employer.
  • Your end date with your employer (if your employment has ended).
  • Your employment contract or letter of appointment (if applicable).
  • An estimate of the number of employees in your employers’ organisation.
  • Any other relevant dates (i.e. of important conversations or meetings)
  • The full names of any other people involved in your employment situation (i.e. of co-workers or managers).

This information will help make sure our legal advice is accurate for your situation.

The Advice Line hours of operation are:

  • Monday 9.30am to 4.00pm
  • Tuesday 9.30am to 7.00pm
  • Thursday 9.30am to 4.00pm
  • Friday 9.30am to 4.00pm

Most calls take at least 20 minutes so please make sure you have enough time when you call.

We are a not for profit community legal centre and we receive thousands of calls on our Advice Line each year. So, if you can’t get through to speak to someone right away we ask that you be patient and keep trying. You can also call Wageline or the Fair Work Infoline if you have not already done so.

If you are unable to resolve your issue with our information resources and you cannot contact us on our Advice Line, you may wish to make an online application for legal advice. You can access our online enquiry form here.

Need an Interpreter?

If you have difficulties speaking or understanding English, we can arrange an interpreter for most languages and many dialects free of charge.

Deaf or hard of hearing?

If you are deaf or hard of hearing click here to enter your details so that we can help you access our service.
Please wait...