ARE YOU INTERESTED IN A CLERKSHIP OPPORTUNITY AT A SOCIAL JUSTICE AND COMMUNITY SERVICE
The Employment Law Centre of WA (Inc) (ELC) is a not for profit community legal centre which provides employment law advice to vulnerable Western Australian workers.
We invite law students who have recently completed their first year of study to apply for a clerkship with us.
We are currently seeking law students who can complete an unpaid clerkship two to three days a week for six weeks during the periods of:
18 November 2019 to 17 January 2020
20 January to 28 February 2020
The clerkship program may involve a variety of tasks, including:
- assisting with client intake and interviews over ELC’s telephone Advice Line;
- arranging appropriate assistance for eligible clients by way of the Advice Line, In-House Solicitor Appointments or our Evening Legal Service;
- referring clients to specialist legal, government and community services;
- undertaking research and drafting materials in relation to a wide range of employment law issues and law reform
- assisting solicitors with client appointments;
- assisting develop community legal education; and
- assisting ELC solicitors, staff and volunteers as required.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested, please send a cover letter (addressing the below selection criteria and indicating the clerkship period you want to undertake), your resume and your academic transcript to Clerkship Recruitment at email@example.com.
In your cover letter you must briefly demonstrate how you excel in the following areas:
- written and verbal communication skills (including being able to effectively communicate with solicitors, vulnerable clients and other staff/volunteers);
- time management and organisational skills (including multi-tasking);
- attention to detail and ability to complete quality written work within tight timeframes;
- computer skills; and
- research skills.
If you do not address the above selection criteria, your application will not be considered. Applications are due by Monday 28th October 2019.
 This period excludes the ELC end of year closure from 24 December 2019 to 2 January 2020